Why should you hire a birth doula?
Inviting a Palouse Women’s Wellness doula to care for you during your pregnancy, labor and postpartum is about embracing the belief that this experience is more than just a means to an end. Maybe you’re having your first baby and you aren’t quite sure what to expect, but you don’t think it’s going to be like what you’ve seen in the movies. Or, maybe you’re an experienced parent who, having been through it once (or more!) before knows that you want the support of a seasoned guide to help shape the space for this birth.
You have an sense that healthy parents and healthy babies are the most important results, but they aren’t the only important results. You want someone in your corner who works for you – not for your doctors or midwives, not for the hospital, not for the insurance company – who respects the place where holistic instinct and modern science meet, and who can help you make the choices that are right for your values. You want a listening ear that will offer no-judgement feedback and evidence-based information, free from the biases and opinions even the most well-intentioned family or friends often impart.
Our doulas meet you where you’re at to help cultivate the experience you want, but also prepare for and process the unexpected. We bring together the ancient tradition of woman-supported birth, in which the women of a community use their wisdom to guide a birth-giver on the path to parenthood, and modern training and experience, in which we explore and employ cutting-edge research studies, technology, and a thorough understanding of modern care options. We will never tell you there is one right way – but we will help you find your right way. We invite you to read about our past clients’ experiences with us by visiting our testimonial page.
Studies show the many positive effects of choosing to work with a doula. Of all the outcomes we’re proud to say doulas positively influence, the 34% reduction in dissatisfaction with the birth experience is something we find particularly meaningful. As a major transformative life event, your birth experience and how you remember it matters, and we believe in honoring this time in your life.
As trained doulas, we have not only completed initial coursework and hands-on learning, but also engage in ongoing continuing education to further our skills and knowledge.
“Although we didn’t experience the birth we had planned, I know that my experience was still wonderful because I had the extra support of these kind, loving, and knowledgeable doulas!” – Kat in Pullman
Ready to learn more about what you receive when you work with a Palouse Women’s Wellness doula?
All of our birth doula packages include the following essential support:
- Unlimited phone, text and email support from the time of hire through six weeks postpartum
- Access to our extensive collection of resources, including books, articles and videos featuring current, evidence-based information and techniques
- One group prenatal visit where we cover general information, fill in the blanks from childbirth education, and provide you with the opportunity to meet other families with due dates near yours
- One private, in-home prenatal visit where we dive deep into your individual needs, fears, hopes and preferences for your birth
- A doula on-call 24/7 (plus backup in place just in case)
- Phone and text support through early labor to provide suggestions, answer questions and help with plans for the rest of your labor and birth
- One one week postpartum visit in-home where you share your birth story, we process your experience, and assist with postpartum parent and baby questions
- One one month postpartum check in via phone
- Referrals to other professionals or resources for specialized care as needed
- $25 off registration for breathe/push, our comprehensive mindfulness-based childbirth education course
Beyond our essentials, we have three package options that range from $570-$750 – something for every birth plan and every budget.
To learn more about our pricing and service options, as well as the ways you can meet with us to decide if we’re the right fit, fill out the form below.