Why should you hire a birth doula?
Inviting a Palouse Women’s Wellness doula to care for you during your pregnancy, labor and postpartum is about embracing the belief that this experience is more than just a means to an end. Maybe you’re having your first baby and you aren’t quite sure what to expect, but you don’t think it’s going to be like what you’ve seen in the movies. Or, maybe you’re an experienced parent who, having been through it once (or more!) before knows that you want the support of a seasoned guide to help shape the space for this birth.
You have an sense that a healthy mom and healthy baby are the most important results, but they aren’t the only important results. You want someone in your corner who works for you – not for your doctors or midwives, not for the hospital, not for the insurance company – who respects the place where holistic instinct and modern science meet, and who can help you make the choices that are right for your values. You want a listening ear that will offer no-judgement feedback and evidence-based information, free from the biases and opinions even the most well-intentioned family or friends often impart.
Our doulas meet you where you’re at to help cultivate the experience you want, but also prepare for and process the unexpected. We bring together the ancient tradition of woman-supported birth, in which the women of a community use their wisdom to guide a birthing woman on her path to motherhood, and modern training and experience, in which we explore and employ cutting-edge research studies, technology, and a thorough understanding of modern maternity care options. We will never tell you there is one right way – but we will help you find your right way. We invite you to read about our past clients’ experiences with us by visiting our testimonial page.
To put it in numbers, this article from Evidence-Based Birth (one of our favorite sources!) is a great summary of the data that supports including a doula in your birth team. In short, choosing to work with a doula improves outcomes across several measures, including reduced rates of labor induction and interventions, cesarean births, and NICU admissions.
As a major transformative life event, your birth experience and how you remember it matters. We believe in honoring this time in your life, whatever that may mean to you. Of all the outcomes we’re proud to say doulas positively influence, the 34% reduction in dissatisfaction with the birth experience is something we find particularly meaningful.
You can read more about the benefits of hiring a doula from our certifying organization, DONA International. As DONA birth doulas, we have completed an extensive training and certification program and engage in ongoing continuing education to further our skills and knowledge.
“Although we didn’t experience the birth we had planned, I know that my experience was still wonderful because I had the extra support of these kind, loving, and knowledgeable doulas!” – Kat in Pullman
Ready to learn more about what you receive when you work with a Palouse Women’s Wellness doula?
All of our birth doula packages include the following essential support:
- Unlimited phone, text and email support from the time of hire through six weeks postpartum
- Access to our extensive collection of resources, including books, articles and videos featuring current, evidence-based information and techniques
- One group prenatal visit where we cover general information, fill in the blanks from childbirth education, and provide you with the opportunity to meet other families with due dates near yours
- One private, in-home prenatal visit where we dive deep into your individual needs, fears, hopes and preferences for your birth
- A primary doula and back-up doula on-call 24/7 for you from 38-42 weeks
- Phone and text support through early labor to provide suggestions, answer questions and help with plans for the rest of your labor and birth
- One one week postpartum visit in-home where you share your birth story, we process your experience, and assist with postpartum parent and baby questions
- One one month postpartum check in via phone
- Referrals to other professionals or resources for specialized care as needed
Beyond our essentials, you can choose from the following package options to find the best fit for your family, birthing style and budget:
Core Birth Package:
– All essential support ($270 value)
– Up to 12 hours of in-person labor and postpartum support ($360 value)
This budget-friendly, minimalist option might be right for you if…
– This is your 2nd birth or beyond (and you do not have a history of long labors), or
– You will be having a scheduled cesarean birth, or
– You are confident you want to labor privately until active labor is well-established
In any circumstances, if in-person support runs longer than 12 hours, you can extend services as long as necessary at an hourly rate of $30, which will be billed after the birth.
Package savings: $60
Standard Birth Package:
– All essential support ($270 value)
– Unlimited in-person labor support and immediate postpartum support ($540+ value, based off an 18hr average labor)
Package savings: $60+
This package is a great choice for most of our clients. Regardless of the length of your labor, you pay one flat fee and not a penny more – even if we call in back-up for a long birth. (We don’t wish those long, hard ones on anybody… but they happen!)
Deluxe Birth & Beyond Package:
– All essential support ($270 value)
– Unlimited in-person labor support and immediate postpartum support ($540+ value)
– Placenta encapsulation ($200 value)
– Tickets for two to our 3-hour The Fourth Trimester postpartum care class ($30 value)
Package savings: $100+
Our most comprehensive package (and best savings) includes all of the features of our standard package, plus a bundle of our most popular other offerings to help smooth your mental, physical and emotional transition to life with baby.
Questions? Not sure which package is the right choice for you? Get in touch!
Concerned about affording a doula? Past clients have successfully paid with HSA funds (but ask your plan administrator to confirm doulas are an allowed expense). We can also set you up with a special link where family and friends can contribute toward your doula fees as a baby shower/mother blessing gift. We believe in the DONA International mantra of a doula for every woman who wants one, so let’s get creative and make sure you have the support you deserve!
We automatically set aside a portion of each birth fee to our Fund for All, which allows us to offer assistance to families experiencing hardship.
How to hire Palouse Women’s Wellness doulas:
To inquire about becoming a client of Palouse Women’s Wellness, follow these steps:
- Fill out the form below. A doula will contact you to ensure your questions are answered.
- If possible, please attend our next free Birth Choices on the Palouse event on the 2nd Thursday of each month, 5:30pm at Neill Public Library in Pullman. We encourage all prospective clients to attend this event – not only is your best opportunity to find us in one place, but you also get the benefit of a free class on providers, locations, the role of a doula, and where to find complementary practitioners and classes that fit your birth preferences. (If you cannot attend, please check the box on the form indicating you’d like to set up a private consultation, and we will contact you for scheduling.)
- When you are ready, you will electronically sign our contract and pay the $200 deposit.