Why should you hire a birth doula?
This article from Evidence-Based Birth (one of our favorite sources!) is a great summary of the data supporting including a doula in your birth team. In short, choosing to work with a doula improves outcomes across several measures, including reduced rates of labor induction and interventions, cesarean births, and NICU admissions.
As birth workers with nearly a decade of experience and dozens of births between us, we know that while a healthy mother and baby are important goals for birth, they are not the only thing that is important. As a major transformative life event, your birth experience and how you remember it matters. We believe in honoring this time in your life, whatever that may mean to you. Of all the outcomes we’re proud to say doulas positively influence, the 34% reduction in dissatisfaction with the birth experience is something we find particularly meaningful. You can read more about the benefits of hiring a doula from our certifying organization, DONA International.
Our doulas bring together the ancient tradition of woman-supported birth, in which the women of a community use their wisdom to guide a birthing woman on her path to motherhood, and modern training and experience, in which we explore and employ cutting-edge research studies, technology, and a thorough understanding of modern maternity care options.
Whether it is through our physical, emotional, or informational support, we work for you to help plan, achieve and process your birth.
“Although we didn’t experience the birth we had planned, I know that my experience was still wonderful because I had the extra support of these kind, loving, and knowledgeable doulas!” ~ KN
Included in birth doula services:
Palouse Women’s Wellness doulas offer a comprehensive birth support package that includes the following:
- Unlimited phone, text and email support from the time of hire through six weeks postpartum
- Access to our extensive collection of resources, including books, articles and videos featuring current, evidence-based information and techniques
- One group prenatal visit where we cover general information and provide you with the opportunity to meet other families with due dates near yours
- One private, in-home prenatal visit where we dive deep into your individual needs, fears, hopes and preferences for your birth
- A primary doula and back-up doula on-call 24/7 for you around your due date
- Phone and text support in early labor to provide suggestions, answer questions and help with plans for the rest of your labor and birth
- Continuous, in-person support for the duration of your labor and birth once you request that we join you
- Support for approximately two hours immediately postpartum to assist with initial needs, breastfeeding, promoting bonding and getting your new family settled in
- One one-week in-home postpartum visit where you share your birth story, we process your experience, and assist with postpartum mother and baby questions
- Referrals to other professionals or resources for specialized care as needed
The fee for the services described above is $650. A $200 non-refundable deposit is required at the time of contract signing to reserve your due date window on our calendar. The remaining $450 may be split into multiple payments or paid as a lump sum, as long as the full fee is received no later than 36 weeks. Fee details are outlined in our contract.
How to hire Palouse Women’s Wellness doulas:
To inquire about becoming a client of Palouse Women’s Wellness, follow these steps:
- Fill out the form below. A doula will contact you to ensure your questions are answered.
- If possible, please attend our next free Birth Choices on the Palouse event on the 2nd Thursday of each month, 5:30pm at Neill Public Library in Pullman. We encourage all prospective clients to attend this event – not only is your best opportunity to find us in one place, but you also get the benefit of a free class on providers, locations, the role of a doula, and where to find complementary practitioners and classes that fit your birth preferences. (If you cannot attend, please check the box on the form indicating you’d like to set up a private consultation, and we will contact you for scheduling.)
- When you are ready, you will electronically sign our contract and pay the $200 deposit.